Thursday, September 3, 2020

I am doing an informative presentation on how to create a healthy diet in order to avoid the consequences of unhealthy eating (ex. type 2 diabetes, joint pain, etc) but my professor doesn't want me to refer to weight or weight loss during the presentation. Advice?

So I am taking a pretty standard college speech class and I need to make a 6 minute presentation. The professor said that we should do it on something we are passionate on and that the audience might find interesting. So I chose healthy eating habits since I've been going that rabbit hole for a year now and I have been successful at losing over 40 pounds.

My main reason for choosing the topic was that a lot of my friends here have asked what I have been doing and what specific diet I am on but when I explain how I just do CICO with some focus on macros and intermittent fasting and some exercise, I completely lose them. They don't seem to understand how tracking calories can be helpful. One had her mind blown was I explained TDEE and BMR because she thought everyone burned 2000 calories a day no matter what. Another thought that she had to burn 1200 calories just through exercising to lose weight. Many others said that bread and rice causes weight gain but potatoes are fine.

So for my speech I wanted to first talk about CICO, BMR, TDEE, and what a caloric deficit/surplus is. Then i would explain calories/energies in macronutrients and then use that to show how different diet plans work (ex. Keto, paleo, low-fat, Atkin's, low-carb). I was thinking that through showing macros on a pie chart, it would be easier than the traditional method of say the food pyramid.

My focus with the speech is for people to use the information to create a healthy eating plan for themselves that is right for their lifestyle and/or goals.

The first part of the presentation is going to focus on medical issues that come with unhealthy eating like diabetes, obesity, joint pain, blood pressure, asthma, sleep apnea, etc. because that is the format I need to adhere to (show a bad thing then show a solution). But that is a bit hard to do when I can't explicitly say that obesity is a consequence. The professor just wants me to stick with "quantifiable health markers like blood pressure or cancer risk that do not depend on weight" and to "focus on a single aspect such as the dangers of processed foods or hidden sugars".

Any input on how to proceed? Not going to lie but I'm kinda getting a Health At Every Size vibe from her message but idk.

Edit: when talking about health problems, I was going to show how adipose tissue (fat) effects the endocrine system but again i can't mention weight, is that doable?

submitted by /u/AmazingRachel
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3brQf8k

No comments:

Post a Comment