Sunday, September 13, 2020

I lost most weight while I was sick and depressed; I want to change my relationship with weight loss

For most of my adult life, I lost the majority of my weight when I was sick or depressed or both. Regardless, it was somehow satisfying to see myself lose 20 lbs within a few weeks to a month, even if I felt horrible. Sometimes I was doing hard manual labor on top of being physically sick, which I'm sure made the weight loss go even faster.

Now that I'm living a largely sedentary life, and my body has decided to be more stable in disease flares, I've found myself at my highest adult weight. Not liking this, I've changed my diet habits, and I'm eating way more fruits and vegetables, fewer carbs, and moderate protein. But it feels like whatever weight loss I achieve is in slow motion, and the change is incremental rather than as drastic as I'm used to. I also notice I'm tempted to seek out that gray, blank, floating mindset that seemed to consume me when I was losing so much weight. I didn't care about anything, much less myself, so eating food was pretty repulsive. I'm mentally in a much better place, and I've discovered it's hard to lose weight when I feel good about myself, probably because I actually eat food. Also probably because being physically sick was mentally taxing as well, so there were a lot of confounding factors there. All the same, I find myself getting frustrated and discouraged, and finding ways to make myself feel mentally and physically miserable to make the weight loss go faster. Unsurprisingly, this is not a valid tactic.

I think maybe I would like to hear advice, or other people's methods of staying mentally positive while maintaining a good weight loss rate.

submitted by /u/carved_bone_bead
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/33o2xuL

No comments:

Post a Comment