Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Returning to my weight loss journey. Story. Goals. Tips and discussion?

Hi there. I've started a focused effort on improving my health and losing weight again. I'm in for the long term. I'd like to briefly share my story with you, as well as my goals. I'd love to hear from you as well.

I've been obese for most of my life. I've had my shares of ups and downs. Various eating disorders have impacted my life to a great extent. In dealing with some trauma I engaged in excessive reduction and purging when I was younger (and seemingly much fitter)... followed by a much longer-lived binging disorder. While I have taken efforts to correct my habits and have mostly stabilized, I still fight with this impulse, and likely will for a long time. I am certainly dealing with the repercussions.

I'm 33. At my highest weight I was 515 pounds. I have lost 40 pounds, and have remained around 475 for the past year or so.

Especially now with C-19 I have been fairly inactive. I have started to exercise again. While my preferred activity would be to be in the gym and lifting, I don't have that access right now. I have been trying to engage in low impact alternatives like (easy) yoga, walking, aerobics, and some body weight exercises.

My diet has been taking center stage, and is much improved. For the past few weeks I have been staying between 1200 & 1400 calories /day, with one weekend day of 2000. I know that's a small amount for a large man like myself. But given that I've been relatively inactive, it seems to be working for now. It's hard, certainly. But I feel so much better, and being restricted like this has helped me focus on what I'm taking in and when. I'm understanding my body again, and setting up a baseline habit I hope can last. Lots of veggies. Legumes. Greatly reduced grain. Low sugar. And while I love dairy, especially cheese, it seems to be a big trigger and craving for me... so I've cut it out to a large extent for now (almost entirely, outside of a Parmesan grating here and there and cream in my coffee). I also plan to increase my calories as I increase my physical activity. So far the diet alone has resulted in a loss of about 2 pounds per week. Today I weigh 469.

My goal is to maintain the 2 Lbs/week up until the New Year. 450 by November 1. 435 by 2021.

Hopefully the anxiety and chaos around the election and the holidays wont throw me off!

My long term goal is 275.

If my past experiences are any gauge of how this will go, I do not doubt I could definitely surpass this goal if I start to incorporate weight lifting and more activity in general. When I reach this goal I will reevaluate where I'm at and set more short term goals.

I'm definitely open to advice and would love to hear your stories and strategies.

I would especially love to hear about support groups. And your approach to counter cravings.

Thanks for listening! Best of luck to you.

submitted by /u/vololov
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3hPo19T

No comments:

Post a Comment