Monday, September 21, 2020

Terrified to join a gym? I was too!

Hi all,

Are you nervous about joining a gym? Does the thought of working out in front of people fill you with dread? Are chills running down your spine imagining trying out a type of exercise you’ve never done before? Were you the kid who walked the mile run, or sat out PE class every chance you got?

Cool, you’re like me, then.

I started my lifestyle change back in early June, determined to use CICO only and supplement with some free yoga YouTube videos whenever I got around to it. Those videos are great (YWA plug here!), and I definitely lost consistently with CICO alone since as we all know, weight loss starts in the kitchen.

One night, however, I was bored and kind of stoned and watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and I asked myself, “Dang, what if I could do literally 1/15th of that? What if I just...got really ripped for no reason?!” So, I googled gyms in the area and read every review I could find. I was looking for a gym with the following qualifications, because this is what makes me stick to something:

1.) Walking distance to my house. I live in the city and if I have to drive and park in the winter, I’m literally not going. 2.) Lots of group classes included in membership. I cannot push myself alone in the gym, I just am not mentally able to do that. When I’m tired, I’m done, and you bet your sweet ass I’m not going to hold myself accountable to that extra set unless it is under the watchful gaze of a trainer who is telling me “Do it.” 3.) A focus on strength, health, and gradual lifestyle changes. 4.) A focus on community within the gym.

So, I found a place that sounded cool, and agonized over clicking on the “Drop in” button for about 10 mins before finally just making myself do it. The next day, I walked into the gym to collect equipment before our outdoor group cardio class, terrified I would be judged by beautiful, fit women who could run laps around me.

I was wrong. I mean, the women WERE fit, beautiful, and could run laps around me. But they immediately welcomed me, helped me, and joked with me, making me feel like a part of the group. If I couldn’t keep up, they gave me modifications or waited for me to finish. They cheered me, laughed with me, and invited me for tacos after the following class.

Dear reader, I bought a membership in August. I now train there 4-5 days a week, doing mainly strength training classes (it’s kind of like CrossFit but more classic weightlifting?) but also some cardio and boxing. I hadn’t genuinely “worked out” in about 13 years (seriously!) and I feel AMAZING—I sleep better, my clothes are hanging off me, and I don’t get winded from running up the train stairs. My resting HR average has dropped by 6 bpm, and I now go well over my 10k steps a day. I’ve also met a ton of friends of all walks of life, and we still get tacos every week! I’m not Buffy strong, but check back with me in a year.

TL;DR—I hadn’t worked out in years for fear of looking stupid/being judged, but I joined a gym on a whim and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made this whole year. If you’re able to find a place with COVID-prevention tactics and a vibe you like, drop in!

submitted by /u/ladyjerry
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3iU0dSD

No comments:

Post a Comment