Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Why do people ask you "how did you do it" and then proceed to tell you that you are wrong/ignore you/tell you what actually works?

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I went from morbid obesity and approaching death with NAFLD to now being a few pounds away from no longer being obese. (CICO and increased exercise)

Because of the massive weight loss, I *constantly* have overweight (obese like I was) coworkers asking me "how I did it".

These conversations virtually always follow the same pattern.

Just the other day, I had a coworker ask me for the like the tenth time "how I did it" like the answer will change on the tenth time asking. I explain to her again that she needs to go on a calorie calculator online and input her personal variables. Then, she needs to eat at the deficit provided.

She tells me that I am wrong and that will not cause weight loss. (despite the fact she has seen first hand that I have experienced drastic weight loss.....)

She completely ignores what I say and starts telling me about how she bought a $3000 treadmill but doesn't have the motivation to use it. I tell her that she doesn't have to have a $3000 treadmill to lose weight and really doesn't even have to exercise at all if she can't bring herself to do it. I tell her exercise will make it easier/faster, but CICO is all it takes at the end of the day. She looks at me like I am a liar.

Then she tells me that she has a plan to "eat a salad only" for five days, then go back to her previous way of eating. I explain to her that CICO is a long term (really, lifetime) way of eating, that a week isn't enough time, that going back to her current way of eating would just immediately reverse the progress, that one salad only per day is likely such an extreme deficit she would suffer malnutrition if she made it a long term thing somehow.

Then she looks at me and is like "Well what do YOU eat". I tell her what my typical meals are like each day, but tell her that it is extremely unlikely that following my meals will work for her. I try to explain that I am a 6 foot tall male, in my mid 30s, at a totally different weight than her, who exercises daily and that she is a 4' 11" female in her 50s that never exercises, and that it is likely our calorie numbers will be drastically different.

She looks at me like a deer in the headlights and seems completely incapable of understanding that concept and changes the subject. I again suggest that she at least goes on the calorie calculator to at least get an idea of her numbers (she still hasn't done this at all). She tells me she won't because "I don't know how to calculate things".

I have countless other stories that go along this exact same manner with countless other people. It makes no sense to me? Why even bother asking if you are going to say I am wrong/ignore what I say/or tell me you know better despite the fact I have demonstrated huge weight loss success?

submitted by /u/FunctionVoidSmall
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3bK0Zis

No comments:

Post a Comment