Tuesday, December 29, 2020

How do you deal with family sabotaging weight loss?

For some context: I am 24 and living at home with my parents while I finish up getting my Masters degree. I have always been overweight, I went from about 150 pounds Freshmen year of high school to 180 Senior year and up to 230 my freshmen year this is when my journey with dieting began. Over the past 5 years I have dieted, inconsistently, causing my weight to fluctuate between 175-190 throughout my remaining years of college and postgrad. In June of this year I decided enough was enough, after a particularly bad bout of covid depression during the lock-in. Since then I have managed to get down to 165 pounds through a mixture of some running, some weight training (that ended in October due to restrictions) and mostly CICO. My goal weight is between 135-140. I've been a part of this subreddit for a while, but this is my first time posting (with a throwaway).

While I am incredibly proud of myself for myself for how far I have come, I literally haven't weighed this much since high school, my family (mostly my mother) has taken it upon herself to diagnose me with an ED and continually shames me for not eating "enough". She has accused me of going from one extreme of obesity to the other extreme, she claims I'm anorexic now. I mostly make my own meals as my family does not have healthy eating habits (lots of fast food takeout). Having to live, and eat, around someone who so clearly does not support my efforts to become healthy has been really detrimental for my mental health as I am not anorexic and have never been (I eat on average between 1300-1400 calories a day but will honor my hunger and am comfortable eating 1600+ every so often). She has also taken to shaming me in front of my other family members if I don't eat as much as she thinks I should, and often tells me I should stop my efforts to continue my weight loss as I have reached what she deems to be a "fine weight".

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for how to deal with these types of people?

submitted by /u/Feisty_Capricorn13
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2MihERv

No comments:

Post a Comment