Thursday, December 31, 2020

Unsolicited comments about my weight during grandpa’s funeral

My aunt arrived from out of town to attend the funeral of my grandpa. I haven’t even thought about my weight loss journey since my grandpa died. It’s been blood transfusions and hospital visits and quick, microwaveable meals this past month.

I’m obese. Four months ago, I weighed 209 pounds at 5 feet 2. Today, I weigh 177. My aunt has always been the type to tell me to lose weight every time she sees me.

When she saw me yesterday, she was in disbelief, as if the concept of me actually putting in effort to lose a few pounds wasn’t possible in this or in any other universe. She asked me about it openly, in front of a few other people, and wouldn’t stop pestering me about it.

I was severely uncomfortable with the attention. This was a time of mourning, not a time for prying into the reasons of losing weight. The thing is, I lost an additional 5 pounds drastically because I lost my grandpa. I was in shock and grappling with a sudden curveball right at the end of the year.

I found out later that she asked all around, including the help and my mom, if I was dieting, if I was starving myself, if I was taking weight loss pills. They told her I was strict with my calories (CICO).

She confronted me again and demanded many times I tell her my current weight. Which I don’t see as a topic of great importance. She also commented on how I was going to fail with calorie counting and that I should only trust keto, because it helped her lose 7 pounds. When I finally told her I was 177 pounds, her response was, “so you’re THAT big huh?”

I was ashamed. People heard. I got over it quickly.

The point of this post? I need a space to vent. Sorry if you’re privy to the whining of a young adult. Comments like these shouldn’t bother me. Unsolicited comments about your weight loss shouldn’t bother you either. I exercise and calorie count for myself and the future I am fighting for, not for the opinion of a meddling aunt. I just wish people were more sensitive of the questions that they ask.

Anyway, I lost 30 pounds! I still can’t believe I actually had it in me. The new year is fast approaching and we have dinner with one seat emptier, but there is still good in this world to be found. To whoever is reading this, the only opinion that truly matters is the ones you make of yourself.

submitted by /u/halbertcamus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/34Wsinx

No comments:

Post a Comment