Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Ignore unsolicited advice from those trying to second guess you

If you're on a weight loss / health journey and it's all going well and you're feeling good and you're healthier... just keep going. Do what works for you. Everyone is different and in the end we do what works best for our own circumstances.

When I was fat, many people (particularly family) would make all kinds of comments about it. From backhanded compliments to offensive jokes to downright "You're fat! You need to lose weight!".

Despite all their comments and "concern", no one did anything to actually help me.

The few health nuts in the family would go on hikes and other outdoorsy activities and never invite me (to this day I have not received one invitation). The more normal ones would tell me to diet while simultaneously offer me tons of chocolate and unhealthy foods.

Now that I've lost all the excess weight -- in a healthy way, by working my butt off -- I still get unsolicited comments.

Now the comments range from "You're too skinny! You're going too far!" to "Are you sure you wanna eat that? What if you gain back the weight?".

But worse of all is them questioning my exercise. First, the comments implied that they didn't believe that a fat person was really exercising. Then they would say "Are you still... using the elliptical machine?" which a tone of disgust like it's a shameful thing. Now they criticize me because I do daily walks rather than running/jogging.

Walking is and has always been the core of my journey. It's something I do for mental and physical health. It's easy to do, pleasureable and it's a habit I managed to maintain.

These comments made me angry. I didn't ask for advice. My methods have worked very well for me with obvious good results.

But it happens to everyone, not just me. People will make comments before, during and after your journey. Just stick to your path if you know it's the right way to go.

submitted by /u/sleeplesslisbon
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37WrP6D

No comments:

Post a Comment