Wednesday, December 30, 2020

I'm finally making a lifestyle change rather than trying to lose weight as fast as possible.

I just wanted to share my story because I'm sure a lot of folks tend to end the year off being upset and disappointed with themselves. I was that person last year, but this is the first year my mindset has completely changed.

About a week and a half ago, I went on a 4 mile hike that gained 2400 feet of elevation to get up the top of a mountain. I've been using my exercise bike since July and have been hiking for a few years so I didn't think this would be difficult at all. I made it to the top and it was just slightly challenging.

I'm not sure if it was a combination of eating lower carb and not drinking enough, but on the descent down about 20 minutes in, my quads just stayed locked in one position. My legs kept giving out to the point where I couldn't walk. Even after some rest, my husband had to help me the entire way and, during times where it was too steep, I had to use the strength of my hands and do a little reverse crab walk to get down. It took us 3 hours to hike up and 6 hours to hike down. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Luckily we always over prepare, so we didn't need to call for help since we had plenty of food, water and flashlights.

The next morning, I could barely sit down. I gained 12 lbs of water weight overnight. I had zero concerns of my water weight gain as I knew it wasn't actual weight gain. However, I had planned to counteract all the sweets I would eat on Christmas week by exercising. I was in so much pain for the past week, I could not accomplish that. Since I needed advil and Tylenol round the clock, I also had to stop intermittent fasting so that I wasn't taking medications on an empty stomach. I am sure I gained 3-5 lbs of actual weight after the holidays.

What is the point of this story? The old me would probably sulk, and be upset at my "15 lb" weight gain. I might have even gone back to my old habits for months rather than a few weeks. I might want to start exercising again after the new year when I'm completely done with the holidays. The newer me, however, realizes that there should never be guilt associated with enjoying the holidays, and that I need to go back to my new habits as quickly and safely as I can. The new me is a lot nicer to myself because we are all human. This is a long journey, and being upset every other week is going to tire you of being on this journey and make you want to give up. So over the past two days, I went back to intermittent fasting, low calorie and lower carb. I used my exercise bike very slowly because my quads still feel heavy. And this is the difference between why I actually achieved more of my weight loss goals this year than last year. Just try to remember to be kind to oneself whether you had control of the weight gain or didn't.

submitted by /u/Gooselamb
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/38SQg4i

No comments:

Post a Comment