Tuesday, May 4, 2021

My mum told me to buy a weighing scale and said that I’m “letting myself go” (TW/CW)

hello everyone, i’ve been struggling with my weight since was practically 9 years old. there was a lot of bullying in school to a point where i felt the need to self harm and my body image was completely shattered. where i come from, most of the people i know have a very unrealistic standard about the way a person should look and in my family, weight gain is something that is completely frowned upon. i moved to another country a couple of years ago for my education and have been living on my own since. in these five years, i’ve lost a ton of weight in the beginning to such a point that i could no longer distinguish between dieting and an eating disorder. i started dating my partner in 2019 and put on a few “healthy relationship pounds” and after quarantine happened, i gained a lot of weight. somewhere between 40-50 pounds. there were other factors affecting this too like my use of birth control, etc. but a huge factor was lack of proper diet and exercise. today, i am at a point in my life where i do want to lose weight but without any restrictions or binges. i am happy with the way i look NO matter what. i have even started wearing clothes that i wouldn’t wear earlier and have made peace with my body.

fast forward to today, my mother who herself has struggled with her weight because of a disease, knows exactly how it feels like to be teased about your weight. don’t get me wrong, she’s supported me her entire life and has never commented on my weight. however, today she asked me to get a weighing scale and start weighing myself because she thought i have let myself go. she even compared me to one of my cousins who is considered very fat and unhealthy by her and most people in my family. this has really hurt me and i don’t know how to deal with it.

what did you do when people (especially someone so close to you) commented on your weight and you were peaceful in your body? how did you deal with it and not let it ruin your weight loss/gain journey?

submitted by /u/KeepingUpWithMyself
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3nOnqc1

No comments:

Post a Comment