Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Staying Motivated After Weight Loss

So I'm 35 and have been obese or overweight my whole life. I was a fat little kid since about 2 and got to 5'11 and 230 lbs in high school. Toward the end of high school I got down to 200 or so, then ballooned up to 280 after college once I started making real money, spent it on unhealthy food and lots of booze. Lost weight AGAIN (~22-23yo) after that and got back around 200 then had a few spurts of weight loss/fitness kicks over the years and was generally between 185 and 205 for the past 10 years or so, mostly around 200.

I've been a dedicated exercise person since I did my big weight loss when I was about 22-23. In Jan 21, I started doing calorie tracking again (had done this here and there over the years when I was feeling motivated) recently after I had a lasik surgery and was told not to exercise for 1 month. The weight started coming off very quick when I went down to 1600 cals a day and a few weeks into it I started doing my version of intermittent fasting (800-1100 cals 3 days per week). Started exercising again once the doc allowed and the weight loss really got into high gear. In about 4 months, I've lost about 30-35 lbs and am well into a "normal" weight for first time in my life and feeling lean, weighed in at 163 as of this morning, down from 199 in late Jan :-)

While I'm ecstatic about my progress, I do have this feeling like "OK, now what?". I originally thought losing 20-25 lbs would be satisfying but I lost 10 more than that and still want more, but not sure how exactly to stay motivated. Part of me wants to see abs just to prove to myself (and my wife haha) that I can do it, but that feels like kind of a silly goal.

I know being fit and trim is kind of it's own reward, but I still find myself really craving old bad habits (late night sweets, spoonfuls of peanut butter when I'm bored,etc;). I fight cravings, but keep thinking "what is even the point of this?". I keep hoping in time some of these cravings will dissipate and I will have 'broken' the bad habits for good. My plan is to stick with the diet for at least 6 months and hopefully make it permanent-ish.

I really think I need long-term goals to stay on track. I'm not particularly sporty, but love to run so maybe a marathon could be a good goal? I like yoga, so maybe keeping up with my practice and trying to do handstands or funky poses will be rewarding? Any ideas for making the most of my newfound fitness?

submitted by /u/baldordash
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/33dNgwP

No comments:

Post a Comment