Tuesday, October 30, 2018

I decided to take a break from calorie counting and I feel like a weight has been lifted.

Backstory: I've flopped between 140lbs and 160lbs my entire adult life, usually hovering around in the 150s and just slightly unhappy with my jiggly belly.

I've been calorie counting on and off and trying different strategies to lose weight for the past 10+ years. I successfully dropped into the 130s for my wedding last May, but I've been slowly regaining since then.

It's been a constant struggle since I was a teen to reach my ideal weight. I usually do well for a while (sometimes up to a year) then backslide as I get more comfortable with my body.

I know all the science behind weight loss and I'm a wizard with a kitchen scale and have used it regularly for the past... 5 years? At least.

Anyway. I decided I needed a break from calorie counting, I just was struggling to find motivation to do it anymore.

While I'm regularly calorie counting, it doesn't feel like a big deal and even becomes second nature. I got used to bringing a notepad into the kitchen with me while I was making my meals to jot down the grams of each ingredient. My cooking process became so methodical without me realizing it.

Now that I've stepped away from the calorie counting, I feel a lot better. I made a pot of chili last night and didn't record one gram, one calorie. I just tasted it as I went, adding splashes and sprinkles of ingredients. I felt that joy of cooking again - that I hadn't felt in a long time. No math, no labels, no calories - just cooking.

So I've decided to try to shift into intuitive eating instead of calorie counting. I plan to control my calorie intake with intermittent fasting and following a generally healthy diet. If I don't lose weight after a few weeks, I'll narrow my eating window and/or add more low-calorie high-volumes to my meal.

I'd like to do actually this by feel, not math. I know it's totally backwards than what the subreddit suggests (and what I've told countless people!) but I feel actually normal again for the first time in a long time.

Anyway... I don't really have a point to this post, I just wanted to share with one of my favourite communities. Wish me luck!

submitted by /u/toxik0n
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2zjdwq2

No comments:

Post a Comment