Friday, November 23, 2018

I just want to remind everybody (especially around the holidays) that there's no such thing as failure - every misstep is a teachable moment.

I've been on my weight loss journey for over three years now, and it's been a series of ups and downs from the get-go. I've gained and lost, binged and purged, and what I've learned is that no matter what we do, in every up and every down - there is something to learn. Cool, you brought home leftovers from thanksgiving and ate the entire thing at midnight even though you were full? Okay now we don't bring leftovers home or we freeze it right away, lesson learned. Family was stressing you out so you ate three slices of pie? Okay we need to learn stress management.

Every single thing I've fucked up in the last three years has taught me something about myself, my habits, and my relationship with food. I'm learning boundaries. I'm learning that I turn to food when I'm stressed, or overwhelmed. I'm learning that I need to feel fulfilled in every day life or else I'll use food to fill the void. I'm learning.

So yeah, you binged, or you ate what you shouldn't have, and that sucks. It doesn't feel good, I'm not saying it has to. But you can at least take something valuable away from that experience.

Anyway, I'm not trying to come off as preachy - I just wish we all didn't get so down on ourselves when we slip up. I think that we all deserve a little compassion. What we're trying to do is not easy, we live in a food landscape that is not designed for our reptilian brains. Learning to navigate that is challenging, but that's just what it is - learning.

submitted by /u/bornruffian
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2zmYBMq

No comments:

Post a Comment