Sunday, November 4, 2018

I lost 90lbs in one year, and have kept it off for 13 years now. AMA!

Hi reddit! I've done one of these annually for the past few years to pretty positive reception, so I thought I'd check back in.

As a teenager I was ~250lbs at 6’1”. Around 2005, when I was 19, I decided to make some changes. Through some careful (but not super drastic) diet and exercise I lost nearly 90lbs over the course of one year, and I’ve kept it off ever since.

Since most stories you hear about are immediately after, or during, someone's weight loss I thought people might be interested to hear from someone who’s maintained the change over a long period of time. Overall I’ve kept a pretty consistent level of fitness since the initial weight loss, which I mostly attribute to emphasizing safe, enjoyable, and sustainable changes. My overall goal is to stay fit for many years to come, so I emphasize that over putting up the biggest possible numbers right now.

I found a long-term mindset, as well as getting educated about nutrition and exercise, to be very important to losing the weight. I really cannot over-state how important education has been for me - it makes everything so much easier if you have a basic understanding of nutrition and exercise science.

Below you can see where I started off, where I've been over the last few years since I started these AMAs, and where I am today:

Since dropping that weight I have tried to maintain balance in my life, striving to stay healthy and fit without devoting hours and hours of my time to doing so. I spend about 5 hours per week exercising, (a mixture of cardio and resistance training) and my diet is sensible but not amazing.

I'm happy to expand on any of what I mention above, or to answer any other questions you may have. In other words, AMA!

submitted by /u/fitness_ama
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2DlSHyF

No comments:

Post a Comment