Monday, December 10, 2018

Sprained my ankle twice in 6 months; starting physical therapy next week. Feeling down and out and looking for advice.

I started my journey on October 12 and have lost about 15lbs to date. I rolled my ankle in mid-September, causing a sprain, so a lot of my weight loss was diet related (lazy keto), but as my ankle was healing (or so I thought), I began to incorporate more low-impact workouts again like core-based yoga and pilates.

I slipped and fell while walking the dog on an uneven patch of grassy knoll, and the same horrible cracking/popping sounds happened again, leaving me pathetically on the ground whimpering in pain. After a visit with the orthopedic doctor on Friday, my ankle ligaments are very weak and he told me if I were an athlete, he would be immediately recommending surgery. For now, I've been prescribed physical therapy for 6 weeks (beginning next week). He told me that if I continue to injure or roll this ankle, it can put me at list for lasting damage to the ligament including chronic pain and possibly arthritis, which scares the shit out of me as I'm turning 30 next year... I want to be able to enjoy life and be able to travel, hike, etc.

Needless to say, I feel pretty defeated. Prior to the injury, I have felt more energized and excited about my weight loss and making physical activity a routine part of my life again, and I feel like I keep getting set back fro my goals. I have tried to focus on continuing to eat, but I feel the motivation slipping.

My calorie intake is about 1400-1500 right now, but that was with workouts. Should this be lower? Are there workouts I can do that burn calories without putting pressure on my ankle?

TL;DR I rolled my ankle for the second time in 6 months. Need advice and motivation for staying on track, calorie consumption, and continuing to work out in some way (without putting weight on my ankle).

submitted by /u/kstems
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2EonKuf

No comments:

Post a Comment