Wednesday, January 16, 2019

A Thank-You Letter to /r/loseit

Progress pic (210 -> 175 -> 131): https://imgur.com/a/1knQEKp

I wanted to formally thank this subreddit for showing me that it was possible. Four years ago, I was at my heaviest weight, weighing in just over 210lbs. I was always a bit chubby from middle school onwards, but began to really pack on the pounds while in a toxic relationship and transitional period between households (divorced family, abusive stepmom, long story). It’s appalling to think about all the insanely unhealthy food I would eat every single day. I would have multiple bowls of cereal for breakfast, consistently go out for lunch and dinner, and consume a ton of soda and sweets.

There was a day where I stepped on the scale and saw “210” on the screen. I hadn’t weighed myself since I was about 175 earlier in high school, and was completely shocked. I had no idea I weighed that much, truly. It was hard for me to notice the gradual change, but once I looked in the mirror I finally saw how bad it had gotten. From that point on, I tried to make an effort to eat better, and often went on 8-10 mile bikes rides. I wasn’t counting calories yet (and was still probably eating fairly poorly), but I managed to lose 35 pounds over the course of 6 months.

Then I hit the plateau. I ate like complete shit. I got out of the toxic relationship and began dating someone new (who I am still with). He’s the type of person that stays skinny no matter what the hell he eats. We would split an entire pizza and other large meals, and he would bring home a bunch of snacks and goodies that I would also munch on. My weight slowly crawled upwards, and I realized that I needed to make a change. Keep in mind, this plateau lasted probably about two years.

By the point I realized something had to change, it was June of 2017. I finally found this subreddit while looking up how to lose weight, and discovered the magic that is counting calories. I started eating 1,200 calories a day, and became incredibly determined. I didn’t exercise, but counted every single thing I ate, and had no cheat days. Over the course of 6 months, I lost another 40 pounds, bringing me down to 135lbs. People began to comment on my weight loss, and I got the typical “oh, you’re so thin now, you don’t need to count calories!”

Well here I am now, at just over 131lbs. I started exercising daily a few months ago (and finally balancing macros), and began to convert some of my fat into muscle. I’ve successfully maintained for over a year (gained some weight over summer vacation, but immediately lost it all again after getting back). I plan on continuing to become more fit and continue to work on my health, and am so grateful that I found this community. I still struggle with my perception of myself, though, and I still feel that my mental relationship with food is somewhat unhealthy (although I’m really good at keeping it in control at all times). I keep moving forward though, and am so happy with the progress I’ve made. Losing weight has completely changed my life for the better, and I am so damn happy I decided to make the lifestyle change. I've had a handful of people I know personally tell me that my weight loss has inspired them to do the same, and love to share what I've learned.

But yeah. Thanks, everyone! I read through this subreddit every day and feel so proud of each and every one of you when I read your inspiring journeys. Good luck to you all, I know you can achieve your goals. It seemed impossible way back in the day, but you can do it!

submitted by /u/mymidnightmelody
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2TSaqC7

No comments:

Post a Comment