Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Advice for Getting Parent Started

My mom's doctor has said she needs to lose weight, which I think has made her finally start considering it (she has been obese my whole life, but even worse the past several years), but she doesn't quite trust the doctor because he is trying to sell her some meals by mail program he's affiliated with. She thinks she has to exercise to lose the weight, but she has shortness of breath and pain in her foot/leg and back that makes even walking difficult. I'm terrible at guessing, but I'd say she's probably 5' 1" and high 200s body weight. She is also Type 2 diabetic.

I tried to get across to her that, if she does only one thing, it has to be diet and that exercise will help a little bit but isn't necessary, and I gently suggested logging/counting calories. I offered to help her, and she made a comment that she'd rather let me help her than her doctor, so I think I may have a window of opportunity to help her make some progress, but I'm not sure how to start without overwhelming her. She witnessed my weight loss a couple years ago, so I think I have some credibility in her mind (although I've gained it back and am losing again).

I was thinking of buying her a food scale and showing her Myfitnesspal.com or Fitbit.com (I use the latter, but the former looks pretty slick), and maybe showing her the FAQ here. She doesn't have a smartphone, so she'll have to use a website via desktop computer or pen and paper to track. Since I'll be the support person, I'm not sure which I should recommend since I am familiar with one, but the other seems more popular.

One thing that might be missing is the spark to do this. I remember, for myself, I could never bear to even think of dieting until I hit a certain point mentally (basically where the self-loathing was greater than the desire for food) and could just keep the momentum going. I'm not sure she has that. I know she's also a procrastinator and will use the smallest of excuses to get out of things or put them off (just like me). I know I can't force her to do any of this, but does anyone have any advice or experience with getting someone else started and succeeding? She of an age (almost 68) where this is might be her last chance before her health declines, so I do feel that a lot is riding on this.

submitted by /u/KavikWolfDog
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2MsG9HN

No comments:

Post a Comment