Friday, January 25, 2019

Can we talk about plateaus for a minute?

In August, 2018, I decided I was tired of being obese and decided to work at it. I had seen this sub, and started reading posts every day. I joined a gym and decided on 1400 calories a day with 3x a week training. And wouldn't you know it, CICO worked just has it did for everyone else. I copied a google sheet posted in a comment that automatically calculated my average weekly TDEE based on calories consumed and weight lost. About a month in, I dropped to 1200 calories a day and found that I was losing about 2-2.5 lbs a week. Every week. That is, until January.

Suddenly everything stopped. I was tracking the same I was before, eating the same kinds of food, exercising the same amount. At the third week, I added in an extra gym session with no effect. I still have a good amount of weight to lose - what was happening? I searched through the subs for plateaus but was coming up essentially empty. The conclusion I drew was that I wasn't tracking correctly... but even still, how could I go from losing 2 pounds per week consistently to losing nothing? I felt discouraged as so many of the new members to the sub starting expressing their NSVs and SVs. Why wasn't it working for me?

Eventually I read something on refeeding. It stemmed from a post a few months ago. I like how logical CICO is and the refeeding seemed counter-intuitive. (Refeeding is the idea that you essentially eat at maintenance for a short while to "reset" your metabolism). I weighed my options and figured a half pound or a pound gained was worth the gamble if it was able to get my weight loss going. Two days this week (Sat and Tues) I ate well above the 1200 I have so strictly followed since mid-September. Yesterday was my weekly weigh in. Despite eating more than any week in January (and really any week in a long while) I lost 3.0 pounds.

So my question is: what causes weight-loss plateaus? Are they real? Is refeeding legit or was my body just ready to get on with losing? Is there any science behind refeeding? Had refeeding not worked, are there other ways that could have gotten me out of that plateaus? Sorry, I realize this is a lot of questions. I felt like I was taking crazy pills this whole month, and now that the weight is finally coming back off, I am even more confused.

submitted by /u/threewholepunchjim
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2HyC7yv

No comments:

Post a Comment