Monday, January 14, 2019

Depression and weight loss

Hello Reddit, I need help.

I've been battling severe depression for over two years now and finally landed in a mental health clinic for three months this summer. I'm on my way to getting better but it's very important that I don't set expectations for myself that are too high or too intense. I won't be able to fulfill them the way I imagine and give up, spiraling back down.

Here's the problem: Over the course of becoming more depressed I've gained 20 pounds. I am an adamant believer that anybody can be beautiful no matter what the scale says, but the weight I am at now is not my ideal weight. I don't feel at all comfortable in my body with the excess and am always appalled when I see myself in the mirror because I am just not used to seeing myself this way.

I've tried many times to lose weight but I set my goals too high, buy too many ingridients for complex recipes at the grocery store and can't manage to cook for myself most days because it's just too much of a hassle with graduating school at the moment. The food ends up rotting and I reach for the phone to order takeout or just boiling a pot of noodles instead. I end up weighing more than when I started and as a result feel terrible.

I grew up in a household where my father is severely overweight and an emotional eater and my mother has struggled with anorexia all her life. I have never learned how to eat well and I don't know what to do.

Do you have any tips for me? Simple, healthy meals that will taste good but not take ages to prepare? Good sustainable foods to buy at the store? Has anyone had similar experiences?

I'm grateful for all and any replies, thank you:)

submitted by /u/OxygenBag
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2TMMb8l

No comments:

Post a Comment