Sunday, January 13, 2019

Ex-coworker asked for advice after noticing my results. I thought I’d share my response in case it helps/motivates someone else...

Hi (coworker),

Great to hear from you. Things are moving along nicely with (new company), thank you.

So I’m down 101 lbs from when I started February last year. It’s awesome you want to start a weight loss journey. I’d be happy to give you some tips and what worked for me.

The first and quite frankly only important rule is CICO (calorie in, calorie out).

You’re going to need to start tracking your calorie intake. I used the loseit app, but I heard my fitness pal works well also. Everything you eat needs to be logged, everything. This will help you understand where your calories are coming from throughout your day. It is really eye-opening to truly understand how many calories some of the foods your regularly consume contain. This will force you to start making conscious decisions about what you order when eating out.

Once you understand where your current caloric intake is it’s time to set a calorie budget for yourself you can live with. I tried to run a deficit of about 500-800 calories of what the app recommended. i.e. it said I should be consuming around 1800 so I tried to consume somewhere between 1000-1300 calories per day. Some days I did great and some days I didn’t, but mostly I was around 1200 a day. I was pretty hardcore about the deficit and it’s not completely necessary but it does speed up results.

Initially it will be really hard as you run a deficit. It gets easier, a lot easier. You will start learning the difference between hunger pangs, and actual hunger. Then you will realize the urge to eat a lot of times comes not from actual hunger but other subconscious desires to eat.

Weigh yourself every day. Get a scale if you don’t have one and weigh yourself at the same time every day. I recommend the morning. You’re at your lightest and it’s a motivational way to start the day. Don’t get discouraged if your weight goes up. Sometimes it’s a full pound or two from the previous day, but it’s the long term trend that matters. There’s no mathematical way running a calorie deficit can not work. Your body just plateaus sometimes as it gets adjusted to a new normal.

For homemade meals get a food scale. That’s the best way to track what you eat at home when you cook for yourself. Find what healthy/low-calorie meals you can imagine yourself eating for the long run. For me I cook oatmeal every morning with 20g of raisins for breakfast (217 calories) and switched to drinking my coffee black (0 calories). If you need some creaminess in your coffee you can do soy or almond milk. Just try and avoid sweeteners. Drink more water! Don’t drink your calories. Try and avoid alcohol and sodas.

That’s it! If you want to exercise great, but if not it won’t really matter too much. What you eat is for fatness and exercise is for fitness. As you approach your goal you may want to exercise a bit, but that’s up to you. It’s really freeing to know you can easily lose weight with little to no exercise. Just follow these steps you’ll be fine.

Best of luck on this journey and with everything. If you ever need anything definitely, reach out!

submitted by /u/Ps15tm
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Cic4WC

No comments:

Post a Comment