Wednesday, January 23, 2019

I'm at maintenance! Time to choose some new goals...

I started tracking my calories via the LoseIt app/committing to CICO just under a year ago, after weighing in at 10.5st (146lb/66kg). I'm 5' 6", so my BMI has always been within the healthy range, but I was just fed up with having to pose really carefully in order to avoid double chins in photos. Vain but true ¯\(ツ)

I've varied between 1200-1500cals/day with a goal of losing 1lb/week (but actually more like 0.5lb). Slow and steady wins the race! I always ate calories burned through exercise, which was the only way I was able to stay within my allowance each day. Other than going 90% vegetarian (and vegan where possible), I haven't changed my diet much, but went from sporadic exercise to 30 minute workouts 3-4x/week. I was going to fix my macros when I plateau'd, but my weight loss has been really consistent (until Christmas #noregrets). GRAPH TIME!

11 months later I'm down to 9st(ish) (127lbs/58kg). Tracking everything was pivotal for me. I never realised that what I considered a 'normal' food day could easily be 2x my maintenance allowance!

My original goal was 9st, and then I hit that and thought I'd try to get to 8st 10lbs (122lb/55kg), but I'm really struggling. Just had a moment of realisation... Why? It's just a number on the scale! I got completely hung up on getting below 9st because that's how much I weighed 10 years ago. But I have muscles now!

So I'm switching to maintenance calories (allegedly 1700... 😍😍😍). I'm still going to track my food and weigh myself daily to keep myself accountable - and to hone that calorie allowance if necessary - but now it's time to refocus on body goals rather than a number on the scale.

Namely:

1) Regain my glutes, as I now have a completely flat butt 😭

2) Work on getting trim, toned arms

3) More ab definition, so that when the light hits juuust right, I have the suggestion of a six pack 😙👌

Lessons learned:

1) Slow and steady win the race. I was surrounded by people doing juice cleanses and bragging about losing half a stone in ten days. Good for you... I'm gonna do my thing, thanks!

2) Lying to MFP doesn't help anyone. So you went over your allowance... Own up, track it all, do better tomorrow.

3) Get inspired! r/LoseIt has been the best source of inspiration. I read it every day. Everyone is on a different path, and I've learnt so much from this community. From reconnecting with hunger signals, to rising above people trying to drag you down because of their insecurities, to getting re-motivated when it all feels too much. Thank you to all of you - this community is the best!

submitted by /u/DammitJenkins
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2FK6GPZ

No comments:

Post a Comment