Wednesday, January 23, 2019

It's time to recommit and bust through this plateau

I've learned a lot in the two+ years since I started this weight loss journey, but the hardest pill to swallow is knowing that shedding the last 10/15 pounds might be the most difficult part of all.

Which is not to say the first 120 pounds were easy! Losing that much weight and keeping it off is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. But that just makes the persistence of those last few pounds all the more aggravating: "I lost an entire *person*, how hard could 10 pounds be?!" For context: I lost 100 pounds in the first year, and about 25 in the last 18 months.

Of course, the answer is simple science. The less you weigh, the less weight you have to lose. Muscle weighs more than the fat it's replacing. And if I'm being honest with myself, I've been taking a lackadaisical approach to weight loss the last few months. I've been running a lot, but studies suggest that the same exercise routine can lose its calorie-burning potency over time. Instead of dutifully logging every meal as I did for the first year, I began to estimate calories in my head, confident that after months of logging the same familiar food, I had at least a decent handle on my caloric intake.

No more. I'm recommitting to this journey, and it started with breakfast this morning. (Side note: if you never have, measure out one actual "serving" of your favorite breakfast cereal in grams. Holy forking shirt, you guys.)

I've hit plateaus before, and managed to fight through them. This one will be the biggest challenge yet, but it's the only thing standing in the way of my final goal weight. Time for my best Thelma and Louise impression.

submitted by /u/adamallabout
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Mu5lgJ

No comments:

Post a Comment