Monday, January 14, 2019

Looking for an Accountability Partner

Hi everyone,

First post here, hopefully tomorrow will be the start of a long term change and to help I'd to try an idea I got from r/Artbudy . In short I'd like to share with somebody pictures of everything I/we eat and drink in order to keep our diets/calorie control in check. I've found having a buddy really helps with providing external motivation. It's both carrot and stick. "Carrot", from that shot of dopamine you get when you see that orange icon saying someone's sent you a message, and "stick" from the guilt of not having anything to show when the deadline comes. To me it's like that game where four people simultaneously sit down on each other's laps, without a chair. Enforcing your own "made up" goals and deadlines is hard, so you do it for each other.

About me, I'm 28, M, live in Japan (though my Japanese is terrible), 183cm/6"1' and currently roughly 105kg/231.5 lbs. My goal is to get to 85kg, which should just put me in the "healthy weight," category of the BMI scale, for my height. Last year I lost a lot of weight. Over about seven months, I went from my highest weight of 116kg to around 95kg (I can't quite remember what I got down to exactly). I watched what I ate, (at first counting and then guestimating calories) and cycled a fair distance to work and back everyday. I felt great, clothes that had been too small now fit. And for the first time, since I was 18/19 years old, I had a jawline. No longer did my head look like it merged into my neck like a tree trunk when I looked in the mirror.

But then winter came, long, cold, snowy winter. So the cycling stopped and I used the cold as an excuse to start eating crap again. Traditional Japanese food might be healthy, sushi, tofu, miso soup, some rice and multiple vegetable side dishes. But in the words of a meme, "Ain't no-one got time for that." Around every street corner are convenience stores that sell all manner of fast tasty junk, chips, deep fried chicken, soft drinks, cakes, ice cream and bento boxes loaded with rice or noodles and more deep fried things. I kept telling myself I'd get back on track but never did. This subsequent year where I lived and where I worked was much closer, so I didn't cycle. And the work itself much busier and more stressful. (I learned last year that I eat my emotions. Every time I felt tired, sick, or sorry for myself I wanted to go to the convenience store and buy something to eat.)

So my weight has gone back to where it is now. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't gone up higher. I've tried restarting my weight loss a few times, lost a kilo or two, but not managed to stick with it for more than a few weeks.I don't want this year to be like last year. But, from my experience, my will power alone isn't going to cut it. I need to try something different.

So as I mentioned, what I'm proposing is taking photos of everything we eat and drink (that isn't water) and sending them to each other via reddit dm. With a simple response of "Well done," or something being okay if all is well, but talking to each other a bit more if something is wrong, like having a shitty day and binge eating for example. This could be daily or weekly, depending on whatever works for you. I'd like to try daily, but understand that work schedules are busy and uploading pictures and writing messages takes time. My only caveat is that I'd prefer whoever I talk to to be 20+ years old. Don't want to be that creepy old guy who talks to teenagers on the internet. Someone in a close time zone to my own (GMT+9) would be preferable. But I'm not going to be too fussy about that.

So if you are interested, please leave a message below.

Cheers

submitted by /u/Peteman22
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2AEJKh9

No comments:

Post a Comment