Monday, January 21, 2019

Once you find what works, stick with it. (The grass isn't greener, etc.)

Case in point:

We know that consistency is key to real and lasting weight loss. I've found my weight loss and general fitness slow down when I make changes that I think will help me, but end up as barriers to achieving my goals.

There are numerous examples, but I wanted to give one...

I work for a college, and part of my benefits package is a free membership to the campus rec center. It's just downstairs from my office and I'm normally the only one there in the morning - or there are a few nice older folks that mind their own business. Love getting to work at 6am to do my routine, shower and change.

I decided to use some extra funds to get a membership at this fancy gym right near my house. I got a some cheap deal so it's coming out to $20/month - really cheap compared to the normal rate, about twice that. This gym has it all - courts for various things, saunas, pool, weights, etc.

I went to said fancy gym for the first time, when they opened at 5am this morning. It was a disappointing experience. I was able to find the machines to do about half of my exercises. Learning where things are and how this equipment works takes time, I know. But then, I noticed people lining up along the wall. Every once in a while, someone would come up to me and ask how many more sets I had. If I was taking a break between sets or drinking some water, they'd ask me if I was almost done - not in a rude way, but still. I felt totally rushed, and I really thought I'd have the place more or less to myself at 5am (even though this is a more popular gym on my side of town.

So, off I go to work, to finish my workout in what is probably a nearly empty gym. It's familiar, and it has what I need. That's worth so much more than saunas and a fancy giftshop. Turns out all you need to lift weights are the right machines.

On the plus side I really kicked ass at meal prepping this week. I think I'm going to keep the membership since it's so cheap, because once I'm at a place where I can have my shirt off it'll be nice to go swimming in the morning (though Lord knows the pool is probably just as crowded as the weight room!

Moral: if it works, keep doing it.

submitted by /u/INTJam_on_toast
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2HrwcLF

No comments:

Post a Comment