Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Some gentle encouragement for my wonderful losers.

This morning I was late to work because I couldn’t put together a shirt/pants combination that fit. I’m approaching laundry day so my favorite sweaters weren’t an option. I threw on a couple shirts that I haven’t worn in a while only for them to be too snug in the arms/chest. I tossed them in a discard pile and settled on an old sweater. Totally defeated.

A little context - August of 2016 I made a decision that changed my life. I started seeing a nutritionist, bariatric physician, and therapist to get my weight under control. I dropped from 286 to 190, and I replaced my wardrobe with clothes that actually fit. Last fall I started grad school, stopped seeing practitioners (because my health insurance/schedule no longer allows it), and shot back up to 214.

Anyway, I shouldn’t have felt defeated because I’ve lost 8 pounds since the start of the new year. Those are the fun pounds too because they come off quickly as your body adjusts to the new way of eating. But my mental stability was no match for a swift kick in the ass from Life.

This is where the encouragement comes in. At times, losing weight seems so simple - eat less calories than you exert, make sure they are nutrient dense if you want to feel full, and exercise if you want to boost your energy or improve cardiovascular health. But we all know it’s not simple. What we are doing is actually really fucking hard. Sometimes you do everything right and you don’t lose weight, and sometimes you do everything wrong and you still lose weight. It’s Life’s tricky little difficulty level - hard setting. If it were easy everyone would do it.

And yet, many of you do. Hell, I have. And that’s straight up extraordinary. You persevere despite the shirt not fitting, or your coworker pressuring you to eat a donut, or every fast food restaurant you pass on the way home from work that’s seductively whispering come hither. It’s a gluttonous siren song. Because the truth is we live in a world that wants to capitalize on our fatness. We are surrounded by messages begging us to buy shitty food so that gyms and weight loss drug companies can beg us to buy memberships and prescriptions. Actually losing weight is swimming upstream, and y’all are the superheroes (with or without capes) that manage to do it.

For most people, the journey doesn’t have a true stopping point. But the hardest part (for me) is always the beginning. So congratulations on your accomplishments and know how fucking awesome you are.

So long, losers ❤️💪🏼

submitted by /u/halfbakedcatmama
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Ddl010

No comments:

Post a Comment