Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Step out of your comfort zone!

I think weight loss is like a lot of things in life, you never really get anywhere until you try something different.

Us as humans have come to expect a certain comfort level in life. We take hot showers, we adjust the indoor temperature of our buildings so it's comfortable, we eat whenever we get the slightest bit hungry, every advancement we've made has been to make life easier and more comfortable for us. So when it comes to making changes to our daily routine we resist because it makes us uncomfortable, a feeling that we are not used to.

This generally leads to making up a lot of excuses. I don't want to exercise because I don't know what to do, people might judge me, it's hard work and I'm used to being comfortable and lazy. I had never tried keto before because I told myself I like bread too much and could never do it. I told myself CICO was too much work to track everything I eat and most things would be too hard to figure out. In my mind I wanted to make changes, but the other part of my mind was sabotaging it before I could even start. I was so used to eating good food I forgot how to just eat food as fuel, it doesn't always need to taste amazing. Or is can taste amazing and be healthy, even better.

We do this with all aspects of our life, we are creatures of habit because the things we do as a habit feel comfortable.

Then I started to try to put things in a different perspective. There are a lot of people in this world who are hungry and can only eat what's available to them. I didn't think I could give up bread, but what if something happened where it wasn't available to me? Like the zombie apocalypse, I became allergic, my wife and I lost our jobs and bread was an extravagance we couldn't afford, etc. Then could I survive without bread? You're damn right I could! If my survival depended on it I'm pretty sure I could adapt. And then I realized that I was going down a long road of poor health and my survival did depend on it. Not necessarily giving up bread, but giving up some of the things that I thought were comforting and it was time to try something different.

So lately I've been making it a goal of mine to try new things and step out of my comfort zone at least once a week. I've actually started keto, tried cooking some new foods, tried yoga, taken a cold shower (okay, maybe luke warm), I try a different exercise at the gym every day, woken up early to exercise, etc. Basically I'm just trying to challenge myself and come out of my comfort zone more so making changes will not be as difficult. Most of the time it's not even that uncomfortable at all, it's actually exhilarating and it makes me feel more alive! I've even learned a few things.

So, people of loseit, I challenge you to step out of your comfort zone and try something different today. It could be something very small, or try to recognize something you might want to do that you've been making excuses for. What will you do?

submitted by /u/SpartEng76
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2QUFVtk

No comments:

Post a Comment