Saturday, January 19, 2019

[TIP] Sometimes it's not just because you're out of shape that working out is so hard...

I recently restarted my weight loss journey. After being down to 165 with just counting calories and hitting a plateau, I gave up, lost motivation and then piled the pounds back on. I went above and beyond what I had started at before (185), and start this round of weight loss at 200lbs. I have already lost a good amount of it by counting calories, weighing myself at the same time every day, and even starting using the app Couch to 5k to try to build exercise into my routine.

I had always assumed I was extremely out of shape because every time I pushed myself to exercise, I would become exhausted beyond belief in a matter of minutes. I'd be coughing, breathing heavy, struggling to breathe, and feeling like I couldn't do it a lot quicker than most people did. When I went hiking with family, I was the first to call break time. They were the only people I ever really worked out with, that I didn't think much of it. Biking for ten minutes wore me out, so bike rides were typically only fifteen minutes long. Even more so, being that I had never been one for exercise, I just accepted it.

However, working in a doctor's office, I had been discussing how horrendous I felt when I worked out in the break room when people were discussing weight loss options (being that it is the first month of of the year and resolutions and jazz), and one of the providers suggested I might have asthma. So, I researched it, scheduled an appointment with them and they decided that it is definitely exercised-induced asthma.

They prescribed me an inhaler, and today was the first day I used it prior to working out.

Now that I am finished doing my jog for the day using the couch to 5k app, I don't feel like I am literally dying. I actually was able to push myself harder and came out of it feeling so much more refreshed than I had before! I am not so horrendously out of shape that just three minutes sends me into a heaving, dying, mess of a person. It was an underlying problem that was being exasperated by my unknown health condition. So, that is why it is always good to make sure to check with a doctor about any unexpected reaction your body gives you. After all, while losing weight is one step to a healthier you, making sure to keep your body in mind while working to improve it is good as well.

You can't just focus on one piece of the puzzle, the whole body needs to be considered when working to improve your own life! Just was a piece of the puzzle I had never considered, and now the quality of my life will be so much better since I can feel more confident with my ability to work out.

submitted by /u/YuSira
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2U2A8Ur

No comments:

Post a Comment