Saturday, February 23, 2019

83 Days of Logging, -32 lbs, And Some Data Visualizations With Lessons Learned.

I saw someone recently post a chart of something like 1,000+ days of charting their weight. That was really cool to see.

I decided to do something similar - but I've only charted 83 days so far. As the title says, I am -32 lbs (as of this morning) and decided to pull the data from Renpho (Scale App)+My Fitness Pal to see trends of Calories Over/Under target as well as weight.

https://ibb.co/cc4pvdT

The bottom of that first chart is my exercise/calories burned. That does NOT include 'steps' calories - I excluded those on purpose. It ONLY contains actual exercise calories - weight lifting, intentional walks, etc.

As you'll see on that first chart - I am NOT eating under my target that often. Which actually surprises me. I have been working my butt off, or at least felt like I was, but the chart clearly shows I've not been under, or significantly under, most days.

NOTE: My goal is -500 cals per day, and my targets are based on MFP "not very active" setting, even though I work out 5x a week now. This gives me the lowest possible calorie target on the -1lb per week plan.

Over the past week or two, I've noticed what I felt like was a slow down in my weight loss. As I was going through and manually aggregating this data, I realized, that's actually not the case. Aside from my first 5-10 lbs, I haven't been losing at an 'incredible' pace - there are times where it does seem to come a bit faster or slower, and I am actually going to dig into that data (first in 5-lb chunks, then perhaps lower) to see some trends. The lesson learned here is not to get discouraged if you don't see 'gains' (errrrr...losses) every morning. Even on a -2lb per week plan, following it strictly, at best you'd see 0.28 lbs lost per day.

One other thing - I tend to try and NOT use my exercise calories. If I do that, I tend to try and justify going over by saying "well, I burned 500 calories working out today." That might be true (or it might not, depends on how accurate your believe your fitness tracker is), but it lends itself to rewarding yourself with food for doing something good. Overall, I am trying to train myself to eat to survive, not for pleasure. It's not been easy at all - and you can tell that I'm not 'killing' the diet game in any way shape or form.

But, at the end of the day, I am logging, I am being cognizant of portion sizes and calorie counts, and I am working out 5x a week. I feel like I have taken strides in my health and weight journey, and am only helping to train myself for a life of good food choices.

submitted by /u/_TrumpTrainConductor
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Er4qLH

No comments:

Post a Comment