Monday, February 4, 2019

Running with LoseIt - 2/4/2019 - How did you start running?

This is a weekly post for the runners of LoseIt. All levels are welcome, from someone who just did their first C25K workout to the seasoned runner who is training for a marathon or ultra.

This is mostly a thread to check-in with your progress, share victories and race reports, and ask questions.

We have a Strava group for sharing workouts, please feel free to join. It's free! Kudos are addictive!

https://www.strava.com/clubs/loseit

This was all originally started by /u/ificandoit, but he's now off being a busy new papa.

Each week I ramble on about something to hopefully stimulate some conversation. This week... origin stories.

I was bitten by a radioactive running bug...

We all arrive a running from different places. Some folks have run since school days, others never. Some have lapsed and are returning.

I'm one who never, ever imagined I'd be a runner.

Surprise! You are a runner!

To say I never ran, like ever, would be really true for me. I hurt my back and hips when I was younger and did not have PE/gym class in high school. I played some sports but did not do running drills/training, like ever.

I would say I didn't even think of running, either. I did not dream of running. I did not get new sneakers/trainers and think, "I bet I can run in these!" Nope.

In fact the idea of running sounded ludicrous to me. I thought I'd hurt my knees. I didn't see the reason.

I was also 355lbs (161kg).

But man, did I like walking and hiking. I lost most of my weight via calorie control, with an assist by walking, hiking, and incline treadmilling.

That First Radioactive Running Bug Bite

I stumbled upon running after losing most of my weight loss. I started losing weight at over 355lbs / 46 years old and probably ran for the first time around 260-270lbs. I did intervals, like C25K. But at most like three times a month.

And my knees hurt me. So I stopped.

I got serious about fitness as I dropped into the 230lb (104kg) range. As part of this I did short runs. Not because, you know it was something I gave much thought to. Mainly because I was using every machine in my clubhouse gym and there was a treadmill. Still had knee discomfort.

So I quit running again. And then started weight training in earnest. And that's when it all came together for me.

I was born on planet StrongLifts

Strength training allowed me to run without any discomfort. By working my legs, core, rest of my body I got myself into running shape, without losing any additional weight. The key was leg work like deadlifts, squats, Romanian deadlifts, step-ups, lunges.

I started by doing a program called StrongLifts 5x5. It is Squats heavy and turned out to be perfect for me to start with. I've since done PPL, and now I'm doing New Rules of Lifting.

Running at Last

I started running in earnest and steadily back in Dec 2015 at age 47. I was about 225lbs (102kg). Having worked so hard to solve my issues with it, I was bitten now. I've run steadily, every week, since then.

It was really a surprise that I liked it. I never imagined running. It was a wonderful surprise that I've stumbled upon.

I've now run about six 5K races, two 5-milers, two dozen 10Ks, a 15K and four Half-Marathons. Already signed up for 6 more 10Ks this year. Strava shows shows me at over 2500 running miles tracked. (I ran about a 6 months prior.)

What is your origin story?

How did you start running?

Weekly Check-in

How did your week go? Training going well? Run your first mile? Finish a week of C25K? Let us know!

Strava Group

Join our Strava Group! https://www.strava.com/clubs/loseit

submitted by /u/cmxguru
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2SbKSn6

No comments:

Post a Comment