Monday, February 11, 2019

The Problem with 'Normal'

I have a problem with something that I hear all the time. I'm sure a lot of people don't have this problem, but somebody here might need to see this: 'normal' is a problem.

I don't mean that as an exaggeration. So often people aim to lose weight, and then once they reach their goal weight they can 'go back to normal'. The aim seems to be to make a temporary change to your diet and exercise, and then once you reach your goal weight you can go back to normal.

And this is a huge problem! This mentality is why I've failed with every weight loss attempt in the past: I never really intended to make a permanent change. 'Normal' for me is 116kg. 'Normal' is the path that was busy taking me even higher than that. 'Normal' is diabetes in a few months or years. 'Normal' is any number of obesity related health disorders and an early grave.

This is the reason I get angry anytime I see anybody talking about 'going back to normal'. As long as you think of this as a temporary change, you are asking to fail, because you will eventually return to your normal. This may sound defeatist, but that isn't what I'm trying to do.

What I want is for people to think about this as establishing a new normal. You shouldn't adopt unhealthy eating habits to lose weight fast, because that cannot be your new normal. You shouldn't exercise to the point of actual harm, because that cannot be your new normal. You need to establish healthy lifestyle habits, not as a temporary replacement, but as your new normal.

submitted by /u/swinefish
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WVhdNE

No comments:

Post a Comment