Monday, February 11, 2019

Unexpected NSV: maternity pants!

Hello, my beloved r/loseit fam! I've been on a break from this sub since I found out I was pregnant in early January. Some background: I lost 70 pounds last year using MFP, CICO, and the support of this sub. When I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd, I had every intention of continuing to calorie count (at maintenance in first tri and then with a controlled gain after that), and to keep running, and to stay active in this sub.

Well, pregnancy is weird and doesn't care what your plans are. It turns out that even though my first pregnancy was super easy, this time I am experiencing CONSTANT nausea. Eating is literally the only thing that helps. Specifically, eating carbs (think plain crackers). Like ALL. DAY. LONG. I have to eat something every 30-45 minutes, plus I still need to eat a lunch and dinner or I fall to pieces. I've been eating all sorts of stuff that I had mostly given up as "not worth it", calorie-wise. Bagels, donuts, and freaking CEREAL. Omg, I don't even like cereal that much, but since the nausea kicked in, I eat like 2 bowls of cereal at night after dinner. It's crazy. I am not "binging" or eating in a way that's emotional and out of control. I don't eat huge amounts of the food, but I just eat...always. It's like a survival impulse. It's bizarre and I hate it.

All of this to say, I've gained like 10 pounds in 6 weeks and I feel terrible about myself. My OB says gaining up to 10 pounds in the first trimester in my situation is totally fine, she encouraged me that it's important to go ahead and eat when I feel nauseous. So, here we are.

Well, my pants are getting tight. DUH. Some of it is growing uterus, and some if it is plain old fat. Regardless, I was getting uncomfortable. With my first pregnancy, I didn't buy maternity pants until I was nearly 20 weeks. But after cruising the pregnancy reddit (shoutout to r/babybumps!), I saw that lots of second-time moms were experiencing their "bumps" a lot earlier than they had in their pregnancy. So I swallowed my pride and headed down to Target last night to buy some maternity jeans.

The signs say to buy the maternity clothes in your pre-pregnancy size. This made me chuckle. The baby is the size of a goddamn prune right now, it is not the problem, the problem is all the food. So even though I was down to a 6 (or sometimes even a 4) in December, I pulled pants in sizes 8-10.

Guys. They were too big. I had to scour the racks for a size 6. It fit with a comfy level of wriggle room to spare. I sat down on the bench in the dressing room and cried.

It wasn't all for nothing. My body IS still smaller than when I started in January 2018. My weight-loss dysmorphia has been magnified by this pregnancy, but like, I really am still wearing these smaller sizes and my body really is healthier and smaller than it ever has been in my adult life.

SO GUYS. If you are thinking you want to wait to start until after some life event: DO NOT WAIT. Just start now. Even if something happens that interrupts your journey, you will still have all the progress you made before the interruption.

I am so proud of each and every one of you riding this wild weight loss train. I'll be back with you around October. Keep on being awesome, you beautiful losers.

submitted by /u/LettuceNotForget
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2UXuGD7

No comments:

Post a Comment