Friday, March 15, 2019

Does order matter for starting diet/exercise?

Question: does starting a regular exercise routine before you start a diet affect weight loss? And if so, how?

I recently started working out nearly every day, initially to fight the winter blues. I instantly felt emotionally better, and loved that my body was starting to feel strong again (I used to work out regularly, but it fell off in the last year or two). After about a month of this, though, I got on a friend's bathroom scale and was pretty shocked at how much I weighed. I had a dexa scan and confirmed that it wasn't just gaining muscle--my body fat was ~35%.

So I decided to start watching my calories too, and it seems to be going fine-- I'm down about 3 lbs in 2 weeks (wish I would have measured more carefully at the start!) But reading through this subreddit, it seems like most people start dieting then add strength training. I'm not sure if there's a good fitness reason for that, or if that's just the easier place to start. Should I expect my progress to be impacted by the fact that I started strength training + cardio a month before starting to restrict calories? Does this mean the 3 lbs I lost are probably water weight? Or am I overthinking this?

For reference, I'm a 30F, 5'4", currently around 145 lbs and trying to get back closer to 135 (sustainably--I won't do crazy calorie restrictions).

Any info is much appreciated!

submitted by /u/whatsit111
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TLb74Q

No comments:

Post a Comment