Monday, March 25, 2019

Done lurking... 335lbs, 5'0", 37y F

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on here for quite a while. I finally registered a while back and kept lurking, and have commented once or twice here and there on different subs. I decided I'd take the plunge and introduce myself and maybe have some accountability that way.

I've had a long weight loss journey - I've pretty much always been obese. My highest known weight was 464lbs (probably much closer to 500lbs, but my scale didn't go up high enough). I had gastric bypass after 6 months' supervised weight loss at 424lbs in December 2013. Unfortunately I had a lot of complications. I lost 100lbs the first month after surgery, ended up having two strictures released, and finally was able to eat and drink about 6 months after surgery. With the complications and prolonged period of being unable to eat or drink, I ended up with a lot of different issues like severe malnutrition requiring daily vitamin injections, neuropathy in my legs (still have numbness and weakness in both of my thighs), dental issues, hair loss, vision changes, and reactive hypoglycemia with syncope/fainting spells.

I went through a lot of trauma as a result, and then because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I ended up in a very abusive marriage. While we were together, he was very controlling, very demanding regarding how physically active I was, and I ultimately ended up losing down to about 188lbs because I wasn't allowed to eat without permission. Fortunately for me, he made some very bad decisions and ended up in prison and will be there until 2034. After I was able to file for divorce, I admittedly went a bit wild. I ate what I wanted, I stopped being as active, and I really focused on who and what I wanted to be. I did a lot of healing physically and emotionally.

And in the process of going wild, I also gained back to about 335lbs. It wasn't all for naught though - I still have a lot of restriction so portion sizes aren't an issue, and I make a lot better choices than I would have before. For a while I snacked or grazed quite a bit, but I have managed to cut that out again. My biggest downfall was introducing soda again, so that is what I am currently focusing on cutting out. And after I manage to cut soda out, my next step will be going lower carb again. I can't really do keto because I can't do high fat foods, but low carb is still best for me, so I will be focusing on high protein, lots of veggies, and fruits to round it out. I've learned that moderation is key, but I don't have that whole moderation skill thing going on right now, so I'm not giving myself the opportunity to mess around too much :)

I also met with a personal trainer and have a strength training plan put together. I'm good with cardio - I can still easily get in 1.5 miles in 15 minutes, but I used to have to walk 8 miles so ideally I'd like to get back up to ~2-3 miles and increase the intensity.

Anyway, any hints, tips, tricks, or words of encouragement are greatly appreciated!

submitted by /u/harbick
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2HDq5mZ

No comments:

Post a Comment