Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Food as a reward when feeling bad + irrational behaviour

Dear Reddit,

I am a 27 year old woman, living together with my boyfriend. I have a stressfull, interesting and demanding job. I am not obese, but I’ve been overweight (BMI 28-30) all my life.

I’ve been on a diet/concious of my weight since I was around 10 years old. As such, I’ve dieted on and off the past 17 years. Never in an unhealthy way. Despite my continuous failure in weightloss, I’ve never believed in the lose-weight-fast methods and have always tried to do it the right way through healthy eating habits (CICO, plant-based diets, etc.). I believe I have the correct nutritional knowledge to, theoretically, diet healthily.

Recently, my boyfriend of 10 years expressed his frustration with my ongoing weightloss battle and the effect it has on my mood and my general happiness. He told me to see a therapist or to ask reddit.

I’ve analysed the following behavioural issues in myself: 1. Even though I am great at reaching my goals in every other part of life (business, academics,..) I have been unable to show the same tenacity in weight loss. I keep it up for about a week until I have a bad day. 2. I feel like food is always my reward for any shitty things I encounter in life. Bad day at work? Mac ‘n Cheese in the evening. Period pains? Give me those crisps. At those times, I am completely irrational and will get very angst if someone stops me from eating. I feel as if I’m entitled to eating, because I feel bad. And then the guilt cycle begins. 3. Boredom eating.

Solutions I’ve tried in the past: 1. Stick to a strict food plan: I’ve failed this one since I get bored very easily and I don’t view this as a long-term solution. Also, I have many work-related lunches and dinners. 2. Reward myself with other things than food: It’s very sad, but food actually maken me the happiest as a reward. I’ve tried material things, but I dislike spending the money on items I don’t actually need or clothes which make me concious of my body (and the bad feeling cycle commences). Also, I feel like I need to learn to live through the bad times withouten having the need to be rewarded for it.

I see myself longing for the thin me these past 17 years and I can’t help but feel sad about how I feel about myself and how I’ve still not managed to change my eating habits.

So, does anyone else feel the way I do? What have been the solutions/tricks you’ve tried and were they (un)successful?

Thank you for your feedback and advice!

FYI: 5ft5, current weight: 170 lbs, goal weight: 143-145 lbs

TL;DR: Please take your time to read my story, as I feel weight loss is much more complex than what can be explained in one sentence.

submitted by /u/jasmijnthee
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2tOqLNl

No comments:

Post a Comment