Monday, March 11, 2019

Instant regret in telling my mom about my weight loss goals

I've so far lost like 8 pounds and considering I've only been at this for a few weeks, I'm feeling pretty great about myself! But, that being said, I've really only been talking to two of my friends about how ultimately I'm making a focused effort to lose weight.

Last week, however, I was forced to tell my mom (who I tend to keep on an info diet anyway after some less than supportive reactions shes had). I had to tell her because my goal reward for losing 50 pounds is a breast reduction, and I had to check if that was still something she was willing to help me with, or else it cannot be my goal.

Immediately after telling her, she starts asking if I've looked into "tapping" (I havent, but from what she said it sounds like a pressure point/meditation thing to motivate you to lose weight, reduce hunger, etc. Sounds like pseudoscience and a lose weight quick scheme and I'd rather just stick with my lifestyle changes). I listened without giving much input and said I'd look into it, not at all intending to do that.

This week I pick her up and she starts commenting on my weight loss. "You can really tell in your face!" And "have you been keeping your step count up?" I'm not working on my step count yet, I'm doing baby steps and altering my diet first. I told her as much. "Well you can really tell you've lost weight!"

And on one hand, it was really nice of her to compliment me on my hard work. On the other hand, though, this is why I didnt want to tell her. Obviously people will start to notice (it is already a noticeable difference) but I dont want people to think that commenting on my weight at any size is appropriate. I've been obsessing over the face comment and now need to make a concentrated effort to keep my calories low, but not starvation low. I also dont want unsolicited advice. I'm figuring out what works for me, and having to deal with other peoples suggestions is not helpful, especially when they want to sell me something.

I did send her a text asking her not to tell people I'm dieting (especially because technically I'm NOT dieting, just eating until I'm satisfied rather than gorged) and she was very receptive to it, but this makes me nervous for the future. Why cant people get that this is a personal thing and none of their business? Tell me I look great and leave it at that.

submitted by /u/lesdemonium
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2J5PpTS

No comments:

Post a Comment