Sunday, March 10, 2019

Weight loss without exercise?

After many, many failed attempts over the last 5+ years, I'm finally making a serious, sustained effort to lose weight that seems to be actually translating into long-term habit changes (it turns out drastically reducing my intake of sugar and sweets really helps with that, who could have possibly guessed).

One problem, though: I'm wrestling with a long-term (two years last December) chronic illness that's left me functionally disabled. I'm bed-ridden for large parts of the day and I can't engage in any sort of strenuous physical activity. I'm not totally sedentary; I can get out and about independently with walking aids, and I try to go for at least one short walk a day. And I'm working with a physiotherapist on a (very light) exercise routine intended to prevent muscle atrophy.

My question, then, is what the limits are to weight loss when you can't pair diet changes with serious exercise? Taking up jogging or going to the gym is literally impossible--and possibly even dangerous--right now, so barring a major improvement in my condition, I'm left with my current low amount of exercise. Has anyone here managed to balance a situation like this?

(In case anyone's interested, I'm a 31 year old male and I weighed roughly 230 pounds at my heaviest. Not sure what I'm at currently, I don't like to get too hung up on the numbers. I don't have an exact target, I'm more just looking to get rid of my abdominal fat).

submitted by /u/Grace_Omega
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TF8PmM

No comments:

Post a Comment