Saturday, March 9, 2019

Where does the taboo around counting calories come from?

I've been using some form of calorie counting software for about 12 years now. Fitday, Myfitnesspal, cronometer, etc. They've been pretty invaluable tools for me, and I genuinely enjoy having them in my arsenal of fitness apps and gadgets.

However, the vast majority of people that I talk to about them have a negative outlook on their use that they don't feel about other forms of weight loss aid. I often hear that it's "dangerous" to look at food/fitness in that level of granularity. Yet I don't see exactly the same type of skepticism around other weight loss techniques, even if the same people view those other techniques as also negative.

For example, people don't want to wear a fitbit or buy a wifi scale, but they don't see the harm in others using those. For counting calories it seems to be different. Basically, I tend to witness others describing the use of calorie counters specifically as some kind of eating disorder; there is a taboo around using them.

I really get into these types of conversation in 2 ways:

  1. Someone just sees me logging my calories

  2. I'm asked for nutrition advice, and I tell them to log their calories

One or both of these situations occur(s) fairly often, and over the years I've eventually talked to dozens of people about it. Rarely is anyone receptive to try them, or accepting of me using them.

So I guess my question is, how has counting calories removed itself from exercise/diet into this sort of taboo area? I'd say some of the more (recently) socially acceptable forms of diet, like intermittent-fasting and keto, are way more obscure than just caloric restriction. However the conversations surrounding those are fairly accepting.

Anyone else have the same experience and wish to chime in?

submitted by /u/profesh_2_death
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2VN8AU6

No comments:

Post a Comment