Saturday, May 25, 2019

A short essay in praise of the Almighty Food Scale.

Sustainable weight loss has always been my biggest challenge. As has eyeballing portions thinking, "Oh that can't possibly be anything more than a 100 grams of rice." Well, it is. It is anything but a 100 grams of rice and you've overeaten about 250 calories just for lunch.

Having a food scale has been of the best things I've done to help in my weight loss. I've used in every form of meal planning and it has definitely made CICO more factual than hopeful. Some of the major uses on a weekly basis tend to be:

  • Measuring out bigger portions of vegetables that have fewer calories and hit my volume eating goals.
  • Measuring the perfect amount of rice and starch to keep everything in balance.
  • Measuring the oil collected from the top of restaurant food (when home delivered) to accurately add in more calories and not overdo the benefit of the deficit.
  • Measuring leftovers brought from restaurants to better create a calorie chart of my favourite meals from my favourite restaurants.
  • Measuring the sauces that go in the food, so that MFP logging gets easier and more accurate.
  • Impressing my roommates by helping me memorize the weight of every storage container in the house.

A food scale brought me towards accountability, so I couldn't just "forget" about the extra calories that came with "just another dash of the delicious pineapple-jalapenõ sauce over these incredibly boring pieces of grilled cauliflower". A food scale has helped me make better decisions when I do step out to eat at new places. And most importantly, it gives me measurement in metric and imperial units, so I don't have to fuck up every surface of my phone to do conversions with my nose because my hands are currently mostly in the middle of kneading dough.

And yes, it helped me go from 83.5 kgs (184.5 lbs) to 70.2 kgs (154.7 lbs).

submitted by /u/purple_brains
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2X5hJIF

No comments:

Post a Comment