Sunday, December 1, 2019

Creative ways to control emotional eating?

I've struggled since I was a child with impulse control around food. If I feel even the slightest negative emotion I'm comforting myself with some sort of food, most likely chocolate or ice cream. When I was at my fittest I managed to channel those impulses to healthier options (dark chocolate, fruit and yogurt). But that hasn't lasted and here I am nearly 10 years later at one of the highest weights I've ever been. I get myself to the gym twice a week (I know, it should be more than that but the fact that I've kept up two days is a miracle). I've made small amounts of progress with weight loss but where I really fall down is food.

I moved to the UK a few years ago and share a flat so fridge space is minimal. One shelf in a fridge less than half the size of the North American fridges I was used to. So meal/food prep has become quite a challenge. I can barely fit 3 meals on that shelf (along with oat milk, sauces, etc) so having readily available healthy food is challenging to say the least. That being said, most of the time when I'm craving chocolate it has nothing to do with hunger. Slightly stressful day? Eat a (family size) bag of Reeses. Get stressed about the week ahead? Eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerrys. Get annoyed with myself that I'm not able to control myself? Eat a family size Cadbury bar (or two).

Today alone I've eaten an entire box of Snowy Enrobed Oreos and a bag of Reeses minis.

So what I want to know is, what are some of your creative coping mechanisms when you want to shove your face full of junk food to avoid life's little annoyances? I'd like to say I've tried them all, drink a glass of water, have a cup of tea, eat a healthy alternative, etc. but I'm sure there's loads of things out there I haven't tried.

submitted by /u/HesitantApiary
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/33BZ7Cz

No comments:

Post a Comment