Friday, December 20, 2019

Dealing with Emotional Eating During Stress and Getting Help

I've had a really tough last 2 months and I have not been keeping up with tracking my meals or being active like I had in the past.

My mother has never taken good care of herself, is overweight, smoked like a chimney for years and suffers from many chronic physical and mental health conditions. She had a cut on her foot she really didn't tell anyone about and it turns out she has undiagnosed diabetes and had to have part of her big toe removed due to an infection. She also has COPD and chronic depression. She is secretive and has instructed all of her doctors they can't tell anyone things about her medical history, including her husband. My dad and her live in complete dysfunction.

I had been doing really well with my weight loss, but as these issues started to come up, I felt myself turning to food as an emotional crutch. Instead of falling into old and easy habits, I started going to therapy to get better tools to handle the situation. I am learning to detach from my parents with love and focus on myself, because you can't control the actions/dysfunction of other people. I am not doomed to repeat their unhealthy lifestyle. I have the power to make better choices for myself. I am honestly upset I didn't go to therapy sooner because it has been amazing for me.

During all of this, I have plateaued and haven't lost any weight. However, I've been mindful and tired to focus on portion sizes and doing the best best I can. For me, this is a HUGE win. This would be a time I would normally rely on food as an emotional crutch. I could easily have gained a lot of weight and I would have had the perfect excuse, but instead I am trying my best to make positive changes stick! I am going to continue to try and see the scale move downwards.

Progress pic of how far I've come- because it's important to focus on our victories and our progress. Each day is a new opportunity. https://imgur.com/a/Hake9o2

submitted by /u/xxbuffalovexx
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2PJc7Cw

No comments:

Post a Comment