Friday, December 20, 2019

NSV - I survived my first trip to the gym

A new gym opened in town on Saturday, and has baby sitting (well, it will soon). The childcare option means the times I can go workout are greatly increased, as I have two young monsters. I pay more for it, but that's expected.

I planned on going Tuesday, but we had an ice storm, and Wednesday I was visiting my mom. Today I have dinner with my SO, so really, it was last night or waiting until Sunday.

I made dinner for the family, put my big ol' salad in the fridge so it would be ready when I got home and headed out, nervous AF and out of excuses. I had cheap sneakers, a new sports bra, and a new episode of my favorite podcast ready to go.

1) There were not many people there because it is so new. I felt less intimidated. That said, almost everyone was more in shape than me.

2) I asked about a spin type class I was interested in later in the week. The woman working spent time with me on how to set up the bike AND told me if I come a little early they'll help me again so it's at the right position. She also showed me how they work, so i'm not a total dope. She was reassuring that while it would be a tough class, it's doable.

3) Because it's a new facility, I felt less dumb wandering around looking at the various machines for what I wanted to do. The empty-ness meant I didn't need to wait for anything.

4) I didn't fall down. No one said "no fatties". No one threw anything at me.

It was definitely an opportunity to not let perfect get in the way of good. My plan worked, though took longer than I expected. I had to experiment some to figure out what weights I needed for what exercises, and how to adjust some of the machines. The elliptical gave me a little trouble, but next time I will ask if it happens again.

I expect it will pick up in January, of course, but by then i'll have some better ideas of what i'm doing! Thanks for folks who have shared their stories and inspired me to take a new step on my weight loss journey!

submitted by /u/ellemenopeaqu
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/38YChsU

No comments:

Post a Comment