Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Resources for the comfort/stress eating mentally ill addict

Heya r/loseit! I'm writing today because I could really use some help with my weight loss. I started in April and it's been a remarkably slow affair, because I'm battling PTSD, depression, anxiety and alcoholism, as well as trying to tackle my waistline.

I started at 286 and currently sit at 273, which is nice! I'm on a new brand of antidepressants, and Weight Gain is the most common side effect of this particular type. I've managed long periods of sobriety this year - this, combined with increased water intake and reduced snacking, is why I've lost a bit of weight. I still eat mostly the same foods as I did when I was gaining.

I suspect I might be addicted to food as well as alcohol. But while abstaining completely has worked very well for the sauce, I cannot abstain from food, and I find myself reaching for it when I get sad. Junk or snack-type foods are my favourite. I also eat in secret.

I would really appreciate some recommendations from people who have had to tackle emotional eating. Although I've got a lot of other problems to try and tackle, I truly believe CICO will work, and I think a well balanced diet and weight loss will improve my moods and mental health.

Podcasts, movies, books, apps? Anything to reign in eating my many, many feelings.

Please don't recommend therapy! Unfortunately I'm poor, so that isn't an option. Being on antidepressants I'm in good contact with my GP, so I'm exploring options there at the moment. :)

submitted by /u/recoverytea
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Qglitn

No comments:

Post a Comment