Tuesday, December 3, 2019

So much confusing gym advice

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but hopefully, this will be cathartic for all of us. I'm about 380 right now and I'm easily the biggest guy at my gym. This doesn't bother me as I'm normally the biggest guy in any room. I also apparently have a face that screams out to people "Talk to this guy!" If you're a weirdo at a bar I'm the dude you have to talk to. Again this doesn't bother me, it's been this way my whole life and I'm very used to it. I generally don't ever talk about working out or weight loss with people in casual conversations. My weight is easily one of the least interesting things about me. I get tons of unsolicited advice on diet as I'm sure all of you do as well. Mostly I just nod and say thanks.

I've been going to the gym for the past three months. I haven't seen massive changes but I enjoy going. I'm trying to get into a workout plan that works for me but haven't found it yet. However, plenty of people around the gym have offered advice and I wanted to share their advice with you.

"You really don't even need to bother with the gym until you lose 100 pounds from just diet alone. "
"You really shouldn't bother with the stationary bike. Those are for people who want to pretend to lose weight while changing as little as possible about what got them fat in the first place."
"The elliptical machine is a waste of time unless you plan on spending at least an hour on it"
"When you want to get serious about weight loss you'll run miles on the treadmill"
"Circuit training is for old women"
"Don't bother with the weight machines. Just do free weights"
"Your form is terrible, maybe work out on the machines until you get stronger"
"Use the Smith Machine"
"Don't use the Smith Machine"
"Yoga is a waste of time when it comes to weight loss"
and my all-time favorite:
"Just Eat Clean Bro"

So if you're keeping track that rules out basically the entire gym. I'm sure a lot of you also have also gotten horrible gym advice. Hopefully, it didn't dissuade you from going to the gym. I plan on going and just smiling and nodding while I find what works best for me.

submitted by /u/hotdogjohnny
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Rh3MHK

No comments:

Post a Comment