Monday, December 16, 2019

The most important pieces of advice I can share with everyone from my weight loss journey

Hi everyone! This is a long post. I’ve lost 40 pounds over the course of a few years: here are the best things I can share with you

-don’t drink your calories

I’m not the first one to say this, but drinking your calories poses two problems. First of all, you’ll stay hungry, and secondly, it’s an easy way to get hooked on sugar, which can lead to weight gain

-don’t let ANYONE define you by your weight, not even yourself

This one is very important. Your value as a person is not about your weight. Your intelligence is not about your weight, and despite what your friend skinny jimmy might say, he doesn’t know what it’s like to be fat, and it’s not a character flaw often times. Don’t let anyone impose their perception of your identity on you and damage your mental health. Don’t feel shame. Instead , visualize what’s you’d like to do and how you’d like to feel and look after you lose the weight. Another extremely important point is that it doesn’t matter how attractive you think you are or not, don’t let people make it about that, your health and overall wellbeing should be internally motivated reasons to lose weight, don’t listen to other people.

-take care of your mental health and pay attention your environment. Don’t be around depressed people, don’t leave your room messy, etc, every positive change you make will go further than you think, and every negative thing will affect you more than you think. Often times I used eat out of sheer boredom. By the same token, take care of your mental and emotional health in general, it’s probably the root of your problem.

-every day, look in the mirror and mention your best qualities to yourself. After a month, look what’ll happen to your confidence and wonder where your depression went.

-happen to life, do not let life happen to you. Take charge, and be proud.

-don’t limit your calorie intake too much

Hear me out on this one. I see a lot of people on this sub having 1600, 1400 and even 1200 calories a day. And while it’s no fault of their own, many of these folks end up binging later. You don’t want to be hungry all day, and you don’t want to lack diversity in nutrients, nor do you want to develop an eating disorder, nor think about food all day, nor do something unsustainable. I don’t want to discredit anyone’s accomplishments with these calorie deficit plans, and I’m happy if they’ve worked for you, but they seem like they’d set you up for failure in the long term.

-my personal lifestyle and food intake

I eat 2200 calories a day, sometimes up to like 50 more than that or a hundred less, but I try to roughly count, and hit 2200 on most days. I don’t eat dessert, I don’t drink soda, and I don’t deny myself unhealthy food at times. My meals get bigger as the day goes on, with my breakfast being only 500 calories, my lunch being 700 and my dinner being 1000. At this point, you might be saying “but it’s gonna take forever to lose weight this way, and what about cheat days to keep me motivated?”

The thing is guys, you should allow for some unhealthy stuff daily so you don’t go out and binge on it after pressure builds up. And yes, it takes longer, but it stays off and adopting a healthy lifestyle is more important than losing the weight itself. No cheat days, no strict rigidity, and no betting on motivation that comes and goes.

Side notes: you’re gonna have days where you’re depressed, things are gonna happen, don’t make it worse on yourself by having a meal plan that isn’t easy and can’t fade into the background.

Don’t let weight loss totally engulf your entire outlook on things, or take up too much of your day.

The golden rule is to lose weight comfortably in a well informed way that doesn’t interfere with too much else, and don’t give yourself too much of a hard time if you mess up. Be patient, progress isn’t linear.

How I actually lost the weight:

-not drinking calories

-slowly but surely managing my portions in a comfortable way, while slowly making my daily food intake healthier, enjoying it, and getting used to it. Eventually, I settled on my 2200 calories a day plan, assuring consistency. Depending on your body weight, this can vary. If you’re big enough that 2700 or so is a good place to start, don’t let it bother you, progress is progress.

-walking 30 minutes a day, learning not to binge when stressed, because it only ends up making things worse later. Whenever you get that depressed feeling like “I don’t care anymore”, remind yourself that you’ll be happier if you cool down and don’t binge, and you’ll care soon and feel guilty later.

Easy tactics to use:

-not sure if you’re actually hungry? Wait 20 minutes

-eat 80 to 90 percent of your meals, so that you’re 80 to 90 percent full, learn what real hunger feels like, and use this knowledge to listen to your body later on.

-wanna binge? Convince yourself not to like I mentioned earlier, and if you can’t totally abstain, try to use this as an opportunity to train yourself to have a small snack. Yesterday, I was stressed and got the urge to binge. I ate 8 okra chips instead of the whole bag. It gave me satisfaction, but didn’t hurt my progress in any meaningful way.

Lastly: don’t be afraid to use whatever support you can get your hands on. Get hungry to accomplish your health goals, and don’t let anything stand in your way. I wish all of you the best of luck!

submitted by /u/INFJboi
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2PKLwnq

No comments:

Post a Comment