Monday, May 25, 2020

Officially lost 40 lbs, and for the first time in 16 years I can run a mile without stopping!

Weight loss over time graph

M/33/5'10"

Started at 232 lbs back in June/July of 2019. I had been between 225 and 230-ish since at least 2014. Long story short, I decided to take control of my life and for my 33rd birthday I wanted to lose at least 30 lbs. Managed 40 lbs so far! I'm officially at 191.4 lbs.

Goal is to get to 180 or 175.

Because of quarantine, the gyms are all closed, and I decided to take this opportunity to try and start running outside. The first week I ran 0.25 miles without stopping, which was already a big deal for me, as previously I could only run 0.1 miles without stopping when I was obese. After a week I managed 0.4 miles. I decide to make my goal to run from one end of a long street to another on my route, and thought "someday I can do this". Well that someday turned out to be a week later, and it was 0.5 miles. I had improved 5-fold over my time when I was obese.

Slowly but surely I kept increasing distance and the other week I managed a mile at 10 minutes and 22 seconds pace. A week after that, going at a 12 minute mile pace, I managed 1.5 miles.

This might sound really slow to most of you but for me it's a huge achievement and dream. I had an undiagnosed heart condition that only got diagnosed in 2016, and it's only partly mitigated by medication and mostly just a "you have to live with this, especially if you exercise" kinda deal. So it's been a challenge to try to lose weight, and even more so to run so far.

It's been getting slightly harder to lose more weight, and I thought it may have just been in my head so I decided to chart how long I had been at a particular weight range. Turns out it wasn't just in my head:

chart of stagnation

Still not quitting though, and still keeping as best as I can.

submitted by /u/LurkerPatrol
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2LZzTb4

No comments:

Post a Comment