Monday, May 4, 2020

When data sabotages you: A scientist tries to lose weight.

So I'm a scientist. I love charts and plots and data. I love trying to see correlations between my behavior and outcomes. And with quarantine, I decided to apply this logic to my weight loss journey. So I decided to weigh myself every day, put the data into a spreadsheet, calculating running averages and linear trends, and in general try to "outsmart" my lovehandles.

It worked great! Until it didn't. Link to my long-term and short-term plots.

See the problem is, you can tell yourself that you have daily fluctuations, and the important thing is the overall trend.... but even scientists are susceptible to the same old human emotions everyone else is. So when I flatlined over the last couple weeks, I found myself getting demotivated even though the longterm trend looked great!

And thanks to my patience and determination over the weekend I found myself under 200 lbs for the first time in almost a year!

Moral of the story: Don't assume that you can outwit normal human emotions. Instead of weighing yourself every day, just weigh yourself less frequently so you can avoid disappointment! :-)

submitted by /u/othito
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YEoiFA

No comments:

Post a Comment