Tuesday, September 22, 2020

A weight loss milestone: somebody recognized my progress!

I’ve been wondering when would be the right time to jump in here with a post. Today I reached what I always thought would happen eventually: somebody at work that didn’t already know I was trying to get healthier told me I look slimmer and asked if I’d lost some weight. Yes! 40 pounds! (352->312).

Here are a few of my random thoughts about the journey so far.

I realized when I was over 350 that I was closer to 400 pounds than to 300. This was my primary motivation to get started.

I realized right away, like within a week or two, that I had never really experienced being hungry. I was always eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and so I never even allowed myself to be hungry. And I loved the feeling. I’m trying to be more mindful in life and so I was mindful of my hunger and I was mindful of the immediate energy boost I got from eating a sensible meal. This was a big help in continuing.

I never paid attention to calories so it blew my mind how many calories I was likely eating in a day before tracking. My god. I probably had days where I was eating 5000-6000 calories. 3 restaurant/fast food meals a day and/or a big home cooked meal. Wild. Speaking of too many calories, I’ve only been to a restaurant a few times since I started losing weight, mostly due to the virus, but it’s been a blessing because restaurant meals are the most difficult for me. Some of the meals I used to enjoy are around 200 calories. Can’t be doing that anymore. Home cooking is way more fulfilling. I feel like I can eat the same amount as I would in a restaurant but for only a fraction of the calories. I’m not even sure why that is since I’m not eating anything that much fundamentally different. I guess it’s mostly because I’m not having all the sauces and cheeses that normally come with the best tasting restaurant meals.

I did hit a plateau a while back and I was getting discouraged. But I changed up a few things, like the aggressiveness of my weight loss goal on the app I’m using. I did also have to be honest with myself and realize that the 2-3 weeks where I didn’t lose anything coincided with my birthday and a few other occasions where I ate quite a bit and was over my calories more often than not.

Anyway, that’s it. Sorry for the long post. I’ve been a lurker on this sub and an occasional commenter.

submitted by /u/romafa
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2RMESyA

No comments:

Post a Comment