Friday, September 18, 2020

Hit my goal today and drank 20 gallons of beer along the way.

I have arrived! I stepped on the scale in early May and did not like what I saw. After living through my thirties and having two kids I had crept dangerously close to the outer boundary of Onederland. After watching my father struggle with his weight my entire life I have always had a deep fear of weighing over two-hundred pounds. Thankfully, with the support of this sub and my family, I was able to reach my goal today.

I started CICO (LoseIt app + Withings Body+ scale) on May 12 and stepped up my walking, hiking, trail running, cycling, swimming, and kayaking. I also started gardening for the first time in my life. I did not follow any sort of exercise plan but I've been trying to close the rings on my Apple Watch at least three times a week.

I made the emotionally crushing decision to give up most craft beer in favor of Coors Light and Founder's All Day IPA. Turns out you can still lose weight while consuming prodigious amounts of suds. My final tally of beer over this period was over 20 gallons.

Before you refer me to alcoholics anonymous you should know this is an average of 1.7 beers per day over my weight loss period. During a pandemic I think this is pretty tame. The rest of my diet consisted mostly of whole foods and was very heavy on plant-based ingredients. A family member graciously loaned me their Vitamix and I drank a metric shit ton of smoothies. My meat intake was mostly chicken, fish, turkey, and ham. I ate a fair amount of eggs and cheese. I tried tracking macros for a little while but it made me feel neurotic so I stopped.

My wife and I have also drastically changed our habits around eating at restaurants. At first this was in response to COVID-19 (we still haven't eaten at a restaurant since March), but after several weeks it just stuck. We can count our take-out and delivery orders over the past five months on our fingers. Bonus huge cost savings.

I weighed myself every morning and each junk food meal is obvious in my weight history because there's a sharp spike from water retention. Salt is no joke folks. Don't sweat the water weight.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone. This sub has been my daily companion and y'all are amazing. I'm switching into maintenance mode and focusing on strength training now but I'll still be lurking.

submitted by /u/BubbatheWrench
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2H6BwUY

No comments:

Post a Comment