Monday, September 14, 2020

[NSV] "I fit in a Medium so you should too"

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a small non-scale victory that really nails home the concept of body dismorphia and how much we don't see ourselves the way other people do.

Background: I have been overweight/borderline obese ever since I was a teenager, and have recently lost a lot of weight (about 26 kg in one year, going from 95 to 69 for 172cm/M) so i'm still getting used to my new body. Honestly up until last week I didn't really see that much change when looking in the mirror even though a lot of people noticed and complimented me on my weight loss and I can clearly see that I can now fit in S/M clothes easily.

The victory : Last week I went to the beach to do some snorkeling which meant I had to hire a wetsuit (it's pretty cold where I live at the moment). Now this is usually not a great experience for me, because it always takes me a few tries to get the size right and it doesn't feel great when the L doesn't fit. But this time when I came into the shop, the guy just took a look at me and told me "Yeah I fit in a medium so it should probably work for you too" and handed me the suit. Lo and behold, it fit perfectly !

It's not just the fact that I can now fit in a medium wetsuit that cheered me up, it's the fact that someone I dont know and I would consider "thin" looked at me for the first time and estimated that I had the same morphology as him. I still have a few kgs to lose, but it made me realize that something that was a part of my identity for such a long time (being fat) is just no longer true, no matter how I still see myself in the mirror ! It gives me the motivation to keep going, and I hope this story can make some losers realize that even though you don't really see the changes your body is going through, other people do.

submitted by /u/Emotional-Sugar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2RrZ3l2

No comments:

Post a Comment