Saturday, September 5, 2020

Positive side effects of weight loss journey: I learned how to cook & I'm saving money.

Before I got serious about weight loss, I only knew how to cook scrambled eggs and pasta + marinara sauce and how to heat up canned/microwave meals. I ate out constantly--almost every day. When I couldn't eat out, I would cook the quickest thing available (lots of easy mac and ramen noodles). I could make a meal out of cookie dough and cereal if there was nothing quicker available. I literally used to think not being able to cook was a personality trait or something. I would playfully say things like "oh I hate cooking" or "I don't cook." That led to me wasting a shit ton of money and gaining ~20 pounds.

When I started tracking my calories, I began by eating less of the stuff I was already eating. Instead of a burger and fries, I would have half the burger and fries. I would eat 2 tacos from chipotle instead of 3. I eventually got tired of eating toddler portions of fast food, so I started to actually cook some of my meals to get more volume and nutrients. I looked up healthy alternatives to my favorite meals. That turned into me fully learning how to cook.

Today I made a list of all the meals/snacks/desserts I've learned to cook over my weight loss journey. The list has 25+ meals. Whereas before I would sustain myself off of an unsatisfying meal of unseasoned (and undrained) canned beans with rice (disgusting) followed by doritos and ice cream, I now have a vibrant array of meals I can make from scratch, and I'm loving it. Making this list really made me realize that I can do this long-term. I'm moving out of my parents' house soon, and this whole process has helped me learn that I can meal plan and set myself up to cook ~actually good~ meals while saving money and keeping the weight off.

It sounds pathetic that I am a fully grown, 21 year old adult and have just now learned how to cook, but had I not gotten serious about losing weight, I would continue to be a 22, 23, 24 year old who doesn't know how to cook

submitted by /u/Vivid-One2535
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3lTLqJB

No comments:

Post a Comment